The Goldberg variations
The World Bank loses another chief economist
Penny Goldberg leaves after only 15 months in the job
When autocratic, oil-rich nations enjoy a windfall from higher crude prices, where does the money go? One place to look is Swiss bank accounts. Sure enough, an increase in oil prices is followed by a spike in deposits held by these countries in financial havens, according to a 2017 paper by Jorgen Juel Andersen of bi Norwegian Business School, Niels Johannesen of the University of Copenhagen and their co-authors.
When Mr Johannesen presented this result at the World Bank in 2015, the audience included Bob Rijkers, a member of the bank’s research group. The two of them joined forces with Mr Andersen to investigate if something similar happened after another kind of windfall: infusions of aid from foreign donors. Their conclusion was dispiriting. World Bank payouts to 22 aid-dependent countries during 1990-2010 were followed by a jump in their deposits in foreign financial
Hinter den Kulissen von Big Business.
Sie haben keinen Zugang? Jetzt gratis testen!
- Aktuelle Insider-Geschichten über Strippenzieher, Masterminds und Hasardeure sowie Trends und Analysen aus der Wirtschaft
- Jeden Monat die digitale Ausgabe des manager magazins
- Jede Woche die besten Originaltexte aus „The Economist“
- Ausgewählte Texte aus dem Harvard Business Manager
- Einmal anmelden, überall nutzen – mobil, Web, Tablet, auf allen Ihren Geräten.
- Flexible Laufzeit, jederzeit online kündbar