Bob Iger, king of Disneyland
Three lessons from one of Hollywood’s most successful bosses
“I don’t know if the word disrupter was the right word to use back then, but I’ve always been willing to take some chances.” That is how Bob Iger recently explained his approach to running Disney. In his 15-year tenure Mr Iger’s bets have turned the American entertainment company from a moderately profitable business threatened by digital upstarts like Netflix and Amazon into one of the world’s most formidable content-and-technology powerhouses. Profits quadrupled from $2.5bn in 2005 to $10.4bn in 2019. Disney’s market capitalisation rocketed from $48bn to over $230bn. This track record has made Mr Iger one of the most lionised (and best-paid) corporate bosses on Earth.
On February 25th Mr Iger once again displayed a fondness for disruption by announcing his departure from the corner office, effective immediately. He had toyed with the idea of retiring several times, only to change his mind.
Hinter den Kulissen von Big Business.
Sie haben keinen Zugang? Jetzt gratis testen!
- Aktuelle Insider-Geschichten über Strippenzieher, Masterminds und Hasardeure sowie Trends und Analysen aus der Wirtschaft
- Jeden Monat die digitale Ausgabe des manager magazins
- Jede Woche die besten Originaltexte aus „The Economist“
- Ausgewählte Texte aus dem Harvard Business Manager
- Einmal anmelden, überall nutzen – mobil, Web, Tablet, auf allen Ihren Geräten.
- Flexible Laufzeit, jederzeit online kündbar